The year in books: January

Christmas already feels long ago, but I had a lovely relaxing time.  I stayed with family, met up with friends, donated blood, read a lot and ate even more (especially after donating blood).

A trip to the library saw me head to the children's and YA sections, where I found Awful Auntie by David Walliams and ...and a Happy New Year? by Holly Bourne.  Awful Auntie is my favourite Walliams book by far, featuring 12 year old Stella who has to thwart the dastardly plans of her awful aunt.  Features a bit of graphic violence in places, but a thoroughly good read. 


I'm on a roll with Holly Bourne books at the moment and this novella was perfect for reading on New Year's Eve.  The Spinster Club are back together following their first term at college and university, and they have a house party to see in the new year.  If you liked any of the first three books then you'll enjoy this catch up.

In my Christmas stocking I found this collection of short stories: Murder Under the Christmas Tree


I've read about half of them, some I've loved (the Val McDermaid one was brilliant), others not so much.  

I was pleased when I saw Everything I Know About Love by Dolly Alderton* was available for request on NetGalley, and even more pleased when I was accepted.  I've been listening to The High Low (the podcast Dolly co-presents) since Char recommended it to me a while ago, and whilst I've not read much of the presenters' journalism, I was intrigued in reading this book.  Dolly writes about growing up, going to boarding school and university, then living in London and beginning her career as a writer, plus many of the romantic encounters she's had along the way and what they've taught her (and others).  Definitely very different from my experiences of being in my twenties but I found it quite captivating.

Joining in with Laura.

*This book was sent to me by the publisher via NetGalley.  All thoughts and opinions are, of course, my own.

Comments

  1. The perfect book to read right now! I haven't heard for the Spinster Club before but I'm intrigued enough to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! An excellent trilogy, I manged to set the second one from the library last week. I've read them in completely the wrong order but aside from a few spoilers, I don't think that really matters. Enjoy!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts