#BEDM - 19th: the best things about being an adult

I love being an adult.  I also loved being a child.  I think I'm clearly content to be the age I am at the moment (invigilating exams over the past week or so has shown me, though, that I don't want to be doing my GCSEs again!).  So, here are a few reasons just why I like being an adult...

  • I have the freedom to do what I want, when I want.  Okay, there are some limits to this, but in the main I am free to make my own decisions.
    • Although sometimes this is hard - why are there so many cleaning products? What do I need? Why are there so many options?!
  • I can go to bed and get up when I want.  If I want to read for ages before I turn out the light, I can.
  • I never have to go to school and have art or IT lessons ever again.  Now, don't get me wrong, I loved my time in education (hence the long amount of time spent at university) but secondary school I wouldn't do again.  Studying subjects I hated and spending time in lessons which, to me, just weren't relevant.  I was so pleased when year 10 started and I was only in classes for subjects I was taking for GCSE, most of which I liked!
  • I don't have many restrictions - I'm tall enough to ride all the rides at theme parks (should I wish to do so), I can buy alcohol, I can watch any film at the cinema, I have a passport and can travel the world.
  • I can vote.  Whilst I wouldn't say I was particularly politically informed, I do believe in the importance of voting, and as such I vote in every election I can.  Women died so I could have the right to vote, and I will honour that.  If you don't want to vote, that's fine, no one can make you, but if no one voted, we wouldn't get anywhere!
  • I can give blood.  I've wanted to give blood ever since I was little and accompanied my mum to an appointment.  I liked the biscuits, the stickers, and helping people.  I now give blood as often as I am able to do so (note to self: must be time to make another appointment by now).  I'm of the opinion that if you're willing to accept blood or a bone marrow or organ transplant (although hopefully you'll never need them), then you should (if you are able to do so) give blood and be on the organ donor register.  I signed up to them as soon as I was able to do so.
And I've always got my Brownie unit to help me relive my childhood if necessary!  Odd number of children for a game requiring even teams?  I'll join in! 

Comments

  1. I agree so much with this, right down to the Brownies keeping you young. I've just been on my first stay-away and it was amazing and I got to join in with all the activities and adventures and I can pretend its supervisory rather than pure participatory! I wrote a similar post (http://flitterbee.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/wiser-eyes.html) because I read so many things about how being a grown-up and all the responsibility is rubbish, but it's easy to forget the simple-but-awesome things about adulthood and sometimes, you know, it's pretty darn cool.

    I'm going on holiday without my parents or any adult supervision! No homework! Lots (well, not lots, but enough) pocket money that I can spend on whatever I want! AWESOME.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brownie residential trips are my favourite thing about Guiding, definitely. There is responsibility, of course they has to be, but there's plenty of time to play and have fun too! Otherwise, why would we accept the responsibility as volunteers?!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts