"It's only an hour a week"

There is a running joke between Girlguiding volunteers that 'it's only an hour a week'.  Now, I love being a Brownie leader, and I don't begrudge any of the time I spend on Guiding activities, as I do thoroughly enjoy it overall.  As I'm currently job hunting, my time is more flexible than that of my fellow leaders who are working, and so I don't mind doing a bit more.  But just out of interest, here's what I've done so far this year:

  • Printed off information from an email about a large event my district is attending later this month, emailed the attachments to the appropriate leaders.
  • Sorted out paperwork for every person going, I need a copy of every form and the event organisers need a copy, so I need two of everything, in two different piles, all in alphabetical order.
  • Emailed a few people to ask if they can be our emergency contact for the event, I now need to type up everyone's emergency contact numbers to be emailed to our volunteer.
  • Sent a flurry of emails to organise a leaders' meeting.
  • Went to Brownies, meeting is 90 minutes long, I'm there about 15mins early, and then afterwards we had the...
  • ...leaders' meeting for the forthcoming event, we sort out who is sleeping where, departure and arrival times, who is bringing what.  Meeting lasts for about two hours, but admittedly quite a bit of this is chatting!
  • Sorted out the paperwork I received at the leaders' meeting, to add to my piles
  • Bought some postcards of our city so we can send them to other Guide/Girl Scout units as part of the International Thinking Day Postcard Exchange.
Think that's about it!  It's a bit busier than usual as it's the start of term, and we have this event coming up soon which is taking up a bit of time, but when I write it down it makes me realise that as volunteers we are doing a lot.  An hour a week?  I'm doing that a day!  And right now, I don't think I'd have it any other way.  If the Brownies think they're excited about the trip later this month, they should have seen the adults at our meeting!


Comments

Popular Posts